Frequently Asked Questions
CalGrows is a program of the California Department of Aging for caregivers of older adults and people with disabilities. To participate in this program, caregivers can be in-home or community-based. Both paid and unpaid caregivers can also participate in CalGrows.
The CalGrows program provides in-home and community based caregivers with:
- hundreds of free training courses,
- free 1:1 career coaching,
- incentives of up to $6,000 for eligible paid caregivers.
Note: unpaid caregivers do not qualify for incentives.
No, there are no costs to participants. The CalGrows program is free.
Caregivers who live in California such as:
- home care aides
- care coordinators or care managers
- dementia care specialists
- non-IHSS affiliated, personal care assistants
- activities coordinators
- transportation providers
- unpaid friends & family caregivers
- and other unlicensed care workers
Only paid caregivers qualify for incentive payments. Unpaid family and friend caregivers do not qualify for incentive payments.
Yes. As long as they provide in-home or community care for more than 40 hours a month.
Yes, they are eligible.
Yes. Unpaid family and friend caregivers can take all CalGrows free for courses and use CalGrows coaching services. Unpaid caregivers do not qualify for incentives.
Note: Only paid in-home and community based caregivers qualify for the incentives.
Paid caregivers who live in and provide care in California who have been employed for a minimum of two months.
Unpaid family and friend caregivers do not qualify for incentive payments.
In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program providers or caregivers providing care in institutional settings such as hospitals or skilled nursing facilities are also not eligible. IHSS Providers can qualify for incentives through the IHSS Career Pathways program.
Track 1 - Learn and Earn Program
This program offers up to $2,500 in incentives. Only Learn and Earn courses qualify for these incentives.
- Level 1 - Learn: Up to $1500 — $30 for each hour of training for a maximum of $1500. May only claim incentives 1 time a month. Maximum of 50 hours of training.
- Level 2 - Learn Bonus: $500 — Complete 15 hours of training in Level 1: Learn.
- Level 3 - Earn: $500 — Complete 15 hours of training in Level 1: Learn and work 3 months at 40 hrs/month.
This project ends on September 2024